- 2 2/3 cups dried ziti or mostaccioli (8 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 - 6 medium tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped (3 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 4 cups arugula and/or spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot olive oil over medium heat until onion is tender. Add tomato, salt, black pepper, and, if desired, red pepper. Cook and stir over medium-high heat about 2 minutes or until the tomato is warm and release some of its juices. Stir in arugula and/or spinach; heat just until greens are wilted.
- To serve, top pasta with tomato mixture; sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and cheese. Makes 4 servings.
- from the test kitchen
- Prepare as above but stir 2 cups chopped deli roasted chicken into tomato mixture along with arugula.